In addition to their many draft picks this weekend, the Packers have also made a number of undrafted free agent signings. UDFA’s have been a big part of the Packers’ success in recent seasons. Brett Goode, Robert Francois, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Tim Masthay, Sam Shields, M.D. Jennings, Don Barclay, Jarrett Boykin, Dezman Moses, DuJuan Harris, and Jeremy Ross were all undrafted free agents at one point, and each of them played a role (both big and small) last season.
Could someone on this year’s crop of UDFA’s be a contributor this year? Perhaps, so let’s take a look at who they’ve signed so far.
Lane Taylor – OG – Oklahoma State (6’3″, 328 lbs.)
- 2012 Unanimous First-Team All-Big 12. Started every game of his senior season at right guard and didn’t allow a sack all year. (OKState.com)
Ben Ericksen – S – Illinois State (6’1″, 195 lbs.)
- Switched to defensive back from wide receiver after his sophomore season. Also returned kicks. Intercepted seven passes as a senior at was named a third team All-American. (GoRedBirds.com)
Matt Brown - QB – Illinois Sttate (6’4″, 220 lbs.)
- Started final 45 games of his career. Set school records in pass attempts (1,455), completions (927), passing yadrs (10,591), passing touchdowns (78), and completion percentage (63.7%). (GoRedBirds.com)
Gilbert Pena – DT – Ole Miss (6’4″, 317 lbs.)
- Played in every game as a senior, starting six at nose tackle. Finished season with 34 total tackles and two sacks. (OleMissSports.com)
Jake Stoneburner – TE – Ohio State (6’4″, 245 lbs.)
- Played wide receiver his first three years at Ohio State, then switched to H-back/wide receiver his senior year. Had 53 career receptions for 714 yards and 13 touchdowns. (OhioStateBuckeyes.com)
- Has the best name of anyone in the 2013 draft class. (Jon Meerdink)
Jeremy Vujnovich – OT – Louisiana College (6’5″, 295 lbs.)
- Was a American Southwest Conference (Division III) first team all-conference selection as a junior. (LCWildcats.net)
Patrick Lewis – C – Texas A&M (6’2″, 312 lbs.)
- Honorable mention All-Big 12 for senior season. Switched to center after three seasons at guard. (AggieAthletics.com)
Andy Mulumba – DE/LB – Eastern Michigan (6’4″, 264 lbs.)
- Started at both defensive end and linebacker at Eastern Michigan. Played high school football in Canada, and won the Canadian National Championship. (EMUAthletics.com)
Myles White – WR – Louisiana Tech (6’1″, 185 lbs.)
- Second team All-WAC as a senior. Caught 56 passes for 718 yards and six touchdowns in his final collegiate season. (LATechSports.com)
- Has run as fast as 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash. (NFLDraftScout.com)
Devin Willis – CB – Northern Arizona (6’0″, 178 lbs.)
- Played in 11 games as a senior, registering 28 solo tackles and one interception.
Angelo Pease – RB – Kansas State (5’11”, 215 lbs.)
- Carried 96 times for 477 yards in a two year career at Kansas State, scoring two touchdowns. Played for the Cairo High School Syrupmakers as a prep. (KStateSports.com)
James Winchester – LS – Oklahoma (6’3″, 200 lbs.)
- Worked as a longsnapper on punt and field goal teams. Also had four tackles on punt team coverage as a senior. (SoonerSports.com)
Ryan Roberson – FB – Texas (5’10”, 240 lbs.)
- Played in 52 games in his career as a linebacker and fullback. (MackBrown-TexasFootball.com)
The Packers have also offered the following undrafted free agents a tryout with the team. They may be offered contracts pending the result of the tryout.
Damond Smith – S – South Alabama (5’11”, 181 lbs.)
- Played his first two seasons at Western Michigan before finishing his collegiate career at South Alabama. Was the top-rated cornerback in Michigan in the 2009 class.
Cedrick Moore – CB – Stony Brook (5’11”, 205 lbs.)
- Led the team with 85 tackles as a senior, including 10 against Montana State. (GoSeaWolves.com)